Reply To: Including common spaces/hallways in Residential Performance Compliance

Home Support Forum Lowrise Residential Code Questions Including common spaces/hallways in Residential Performance Compliance Reply To: Including common spaces/hallways in Residential Performance Compliance

EproUser1500
Participant

The language of section 4.6.8.1 is a bit ambiguous to me, as it says “Corridors and other common areas within conditioned space must be provided a ventilation rate of 0.06 cfm/sqft”.  If this only applied to spaces that were conditioned, I would expect it to say something more like “Conditioned corridors and other conditioned areas within conditioned space must be provided…”.

Since it doesn’t say this, it seems like the requirement is to ventilate corridors and other common areas if they are contained within a building with other surrounding conditioned spaces, regardless of whether those corridors or common areas are conditioned or not. For example, the unconditioned common hallways within a multi-family building would still be surrounded by, or “within”, the conditioned residential spaces, so the corridors would fall under this ventilation requirement. In this case these unconditioned corridors would still need 0.06 cfm/sqft of ventilation air, right?

Additionally, I don’t think the paragraph, “Corridors and other common areas within conditioned space..” is intended for the corridors contained within the dwelling units, because the dwelling units themselves have their own ventilation requirements outlined in the section above 4.6.8.1 equation 4-9 or table 4-17.  So it must be intended for corridors outside the dwelling units.

So it seems like both conditioned and unconditioned hallways (and other common areas) shared between dwelling units in a multi-family building would still need to meet this 0.06cfm/sqft ventilation requirement. Thoughts?