Help on Modeling a VRF System

Home Support Forum Lowrise Residential Software & Compliance Help on Modeling a VRF System

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  EproKing1620 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

EproKing1620
    Participant

Hi, I’m working on a mixed-use building using multiple VRF systems.  One such system has fan coils in the residential spaces as well as the commercial space.

How do I go about modeling this?? The fan coils are no problem as I can model them at the zone level in the appropriate res/non-res models. So I have one condensing unit for those fan coils and I need to model a condensing unit in both models – what should I input for those units in the residential and commercial models?

Splitting them up by the load seems to be the intuitive method but then we are modeling two condensing units that are not “real” units. Modeling the full unit (even though the load is split up between models) in each file is going to hurt compliance. Please let me know what the most “correct” way to model this is.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

EproKing1620
    Participant

Why would you have to create 2 outdoor systems? Just put the zones they serve under the system, it doesn’t matter that they are a mix of res versus nones zones. Wait, is this low-rise or high-rise multifamily??

Please explain what you mean by “it doesn’t matter that they are a mix of res versus nones zones”.

From my experience, it does matter due to the fact that we have to create two separate energy models and get two separate certificates of compliance on a mixed-use building. One for the non-res commercial space and one for the (low-rise, multifamily) residential portion of the building.

So if the building is utilizing a VRF system all connected to one condenser, I have to somehow model that one condenser in both performance calcs.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  EproKing1620.

Gina
    Participant

Why would you have to create 2 outdoor systems?  Just put the zones they serve under the system, it doesn’t matter that they are a mix of res versus nones zones.  Wait, is this low-rise or high-rise multifamily??

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed