How to model a Chiltrex CX 34 system?

Home Support Forum Lowrise Residential Code Questions How to model a Chiltrex CX 34 system?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  T24gal1993 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

T24gal1993
    Participant

Hello Energy Pro forum,

In a residential new home project a Chiltrex CX34 unit is being specified as a heating/cooling and water heating system.  Here is a description of this type of system: The Chiltrix air to water heat pump system (also known as a hydronic heat pump or a reverse-cycle chiller) is an advanced heating and cooling system available in modules to create systems of various sizes. Each module delivers AHRI-rated cooling of 26,000 BTU and heating rated at 34,000 BTU.

Additionally, an indirect 80 gallon tank will be used.

So the question is, how is this type of system modeled in Energy Pro?   AHRI certificates do not give HSPF, SEER, EER and UEF energy ratings.

Beth Smithwick
    CompuCalc
    compucalc@title24energyreports.com
    (530) 268-8722

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

T24gal1993
    Participant

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Actually there was not a water heater specified, just a storage tank.  So I will suggest modeling the Chiltrex unit as a ductless heat pump with indoor distribution units.  If the installer can also install it as a radiant floor then great.   I will be sure to include slab edge insulation in case the slab becomes a heated-slab. I will suggest a heat pump water heater for DHW, as this project is all electric.  Sound good?

Beth Smithwick
    CompuCalc
    compucalc@title24energyreports.com
    (530) 268-8722

EproUser1500
    Participant

@t24gal1993,

I’m not 100% sure how to model every detail, but hope to point you in the right direction. Open energy pro 8 and from the menu select the help dropdown and select contents. Then type “Hydronic”. Click on the “Hydronic Systems” topic.

It sounds like you are modeling a “combined hydronic space and water heating system”, so I’d recommend reading that section and following their directions as best you can.

I have found that referring to the 2019 Residential Compliance Manual sections that they reference is also helpful. It looks like they reference sections 4.7.1 and 4.7.2 which also may have helpful info worth checking out. That document is free and can be downloaded from the CEC’s website here:

https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/building-energy-efficiency-standards/2019-building-energy-efficiency-0

I believe the water heater will have to be approved in the CEC’s appliance database. You will need to search the database and find the water heater you plan to use. There are two ways to search the database at the paths below. Note that regarding the filters, less is more when searching the database. I often use only 1 filter then export the data to excel and search from excel, rather than clicking through the result pages on the website.

Quick Search: https://cacertappliances.energy.ca.gov/Pages/ApplianceSearch.aspx

Advanced Search: https://cacertappliances.energy.ca.gov/Pages/Search/AdvancedSearch.aspx

See attached image for the epro help menu.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed