Including common spaces/hallways in Residential Performance Compliance

Home Support Forum Lowrise Residential Code Questions Including common spaces/hallways in Residential Performance Compliance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  EproUser1500 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

benjamin
    Participant

I am currently modeling a lowrise, multi-family residential building (apartments) and was curious about how to include the common spaces. I contacted EnergySoft support and was told that the common areas do NOT need to be included in the EnergyPro model since the space is not conditioned. That is an easy fix, but I then came to the question about ventilation.

In the CEC’s Residential Compliance manual section  4.6.8.1,  it states that common areas must provide a ventilation rate using Equation 4-10 (0.06 cfm/sqft of common area). I was told not to include common spaces in the performance model but then how should I show that the common spaces meet this ventilation requirement?

Have any of you ran into this in the past? How did you include it in your T24 reports?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

EproUser1500
    Participant

The language of section 4.6.8.1 is a bit ambiguous to me, as it says “Corridors and other common areas within conditioned space must be provided a ventilation rate of 0.06 cfm/sqft”.  If this only applied to spaces that were conditioned, I would expect it to say something more like “Conditioned corridors and other conditioned areas within conditioned space must be provided…”.

Since it doesn’t say this, it seems like the requirement is to ventilate corridors and other common areas if they are contained within a building with other surrounding conditioned spaces, regardless of whether those corridors or common areas are conditioned or not. For example, the unconditioned common hallways within a multi-family building would still be surrounded by, or “within”, the conditioned residential spaces, so the corridors would fall under this ventilation requirement. In this case these unconditioned corridors would still need 0.06 cfm/sqft of ventilation air, right?

Additionally, I don’t think the paragraph, “Corridors and other common areas within conditioned space..” is intended for the corridors contained within the dwelling units, because the dwelling units themselves have their own ventilation requirements outlined in the section above 4.6.8.1 equation 4-9 or table 4-17.  So it must be intended for corridors outside the dwelling units.

So it seems like both conditioned and unconditioned hallways (and other common areas) shared between dwelling units in a multi-family building would still need to meet this 0.06cfm/sqft ventilation requirement. Thoughts?

Pat Splitt
    Participant

You state that the common space is not conditioned. Section 4.6.8.1 only applies to “common areas within conditioned space”.

Pat

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed