NR Alteration What is the required Water Heater Recovery Efficiency?

Home Support Forum Nonresidential Software & Compliance NR Alteration What is the required Water Heater Recovery Efficiency?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  jvanalst 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

jvanalst
    Participant

I have a Nonresidential alteration that is installing a new water heater (Bradford White ULG2PDV50H50*N).  I was able to import this water heater from the EnergyPro water heater library.  This specific water heater is throwing Two errors.

1. Range check failure on flow rating.  The value from the imported water heater is 82 gpm and greyed out.  This is the same value as the First Hour rating.  Error is thrown if value not less than or equal to 20.
    2. I modify another water heater with an appropriate flow rating and model everything else the same.  Now I receive an error stating the Recovery efficiency of .76 is outside the allow range for this boiler.  “The allowed range is 0.800 and 10.0.”

I am trying to figure out if the range if 0.800 and 10.0 is indeed correct.  I’ve called the appliance standards hotline and Title-24 hotline, both of which could not provide the information.  I emailed EnergyPro support the same information which they replied “Sorry, I don’t know the code sections, what I can tell you is that this is a mandatory requirement in the 2019 CBECC engine.”

I did pull table 9-1: water heater types from 2019 CBECC res user manual which looks like recovery efficiency should be 70 to 99 for this model.

I was able to locate this water heater on the appliance database.

If .80 Recovery efficiency is required then that’s fine as i’ll have our plumbing designer specify one.  I just rather be 100% sure first.

Thanks

Jason Van Alst

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

jvanalst
    Participant

SOLVED:

“EnergyPro was catching it because CBECC-Res had that limit, not CBECC-Com.  So EnergyPro was checking for the error for any water heater.  They will fix that in their next release.”

Larry Froess at the CEC in conjunction with EnergySoft came together and found the issue at hand.

Many thanks to Larry as unfortunately EP Support was less than professional in their responses to me.

jvanalst
    Participant

CEC called me back and said I need to talk to software vendor as recovery efficiency is not a requirement for compliance.

jvanalst
    Participant

CBECC Res Table 9-1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed