Performance Compliance with an Existing + Alteration building type.

Home Support Forum Nonresidential Code Questions Performance Compliance with an Existing + Alteration building type.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  benjamin 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

benjamin
    Participant

Hi all, I have been confused on the performance compliance requirements when dealing with an existing building with alterations. I was hoping someone could help with my questions and clear up some of that confusion.

In this case, I am modeling a tenant space that makes up the first floor in an existing two-story building. I do not have any information on the second floor as it is out of our scope. The first floor is not adding conditioned floor area to the space. We are re-ducting two existing units and adding a new unit to support the loads in this already-conditioned space. The envelope is being altered, due to some new walls and new windows/doors.

My first choice would be to classify the building we are working on under the “Existing + Addition/Alteration” type in the building level of the model, and get compliance via the nonresidential performance approach. Although section 11.4.4.2 in the 2016 Nonresidential Compliance Manual seems to state than in order to do this, I have to model the entirety of the building/structure, including all the spaces and systems on the 2nd floor. Please see the file attached to read the part of section 11.4.4.2 that I am referring to.

Although my email to Energysoft support last week contradicted this section and the highlighted statement in the file attached. The support staff told me to “Just model the area that is being altered.”

If we have to model the entire building, tracking down all the information on the tenants in the 2nd floor would be nearly impossible, especially on bigger buildings. I’d like to just model the space that we are working in, but again, code seems to contradict that. So it is unclear to me what is the correct way to go about this.

If you have a firm understanding of the code and how to correctly model this in EnergyPro, please weigh in with your justification. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed